Newborn preparation is the key to a successful session | Newborn baby photo shoot Southampton
Knowing exactly how to prepare for your new baby’s photo session not only will ensure many beautiful photos of your baby but also a pleasant experience for the parents.
- Booking time
The best time to book your session is before the baby is born. Scheduling the photo session in the first 14 days of life will allow me to pose them to create the very best portraits. You can contact me via email, text message or just give me a call. My phone number is +44(0)7537974477.
Sessions will take care in my studio in Southampton. Here I have all the props available. The temperature of the studio is kept warm with a temperature above 26 degrees Celsius. This will keep the baby nice and sleepy especially if we do nude poses.
- Before the session
A deep sleeping baby is the key to a successful newborn session. Following the steps below will help with achieving a sleepy baby:
– schedule the feeding 1-2 hours before arrival
– interact with your baby for at least 1-2 hours before arrival in the studio to keep them awake. I know keeping the baby awake during a car ride is very difficult but try your best!
– dress your baby in comfortable clothes. Something easy to undress like buttoned or zip up clothing.
– Please bring a pacifier. Although your baby is not using one, this will calm your baby down during the transition between the poses. A short period of time using a pacifier will not create confusion. If you don’t have a pacifier, I am more than happy to provide one to your baby for the session.
– dressing tips for parents: Simple white, cream, beige and plain or pastel colours are all times favourites. Please stay away from black and moody tones, pastels or wild colours. We want to keep it fresh and memorable, yet simple! Please find more info in my FAQ page here.
Once you arrive, you will have the time and privacy to feed the baby and change if needed. Then you can relax on the couch while I am photographing your precious baby.
- The session
During the 3-4 hours of the session I usually ask the parents to relax. My workflow is created for a safe, easy and effective transition from one pose to another. Best is to start with the family shots. First the mom, the dad, introducing the siblings and then all together. Then we continue with the baby wrapped and on the bean bag.
- After the session
2 weeks after the session I will provide you with an online gallery where you can see and choose your favourite photographs. We can talk about what products, prints or albums you might want for your home. Your final high resolution individually edited images will be received between 2-3 weeks, together with a print release. I highly recommend you to order prints through your galley or using a professional printing lab. This will ensure the best quality for your memories.
Thank you for choosing Marinela Malherbe Photography!